24TH APRIL 1998
24 year old Simon Jones is killed on his first day as a casual worker at Euromin's Shoreham dock, his head crushed by the grab of a crane

Simon was taking a year out from Sussex University when he became another victim of the casual labour economy. The harassment Simon got from the dole made him take any job on offer for fear of having his benefit stopped. Simon got the job unloading a ship at Euromin's dock despite having no training or experience in this dangerous and skilled work through the employment agency Personnel Selection, who should by law have checked that the job was safe for him. They didn't.

Soon after Simon's death his friends and family set up the Simon Jones Memorial Campaign to fight for the truth about Simon's death to be revealed and to challenge the profits-before-people set up that killed him. From the beginning, the campaign was committed to direct action to ensure that politicians don't get away with brushing his death, like so many others, under the carpet.

Simon wrote for SchNEWS, the direct action movement's weekly newsletter, and was involved in supporting direct action in support of the Liverpool dockers' strike against the casualisation of their port. He knew that if you sit back and wait for politicians to put things right you have a long wait. It was not a lesson that the campaign set up in his name was about to forget.

Euromin 1st September 1998

On what would have been Simon's 25th birthday, 30 protesters occupy the Shoreham dock owned by Euromin where Simon was killed. Two 80 foot towers are occupied and banners reading SIMON JONES RIP and CASUALISATION KILLS are unfurled. A wreath is laid by the dockside and leaflets handed out to sympathetic dock workers. Euromin are forced to close the docks, sending all their casual workers home for the rest of the dayon full pay. The action is
featured in The Big Issue and SchNEWS
, the Brighton-based direct action newsletter Simon wrote for.

Euromin's Docks at Shoreham

Personnel Selection 3rd September 1998
The Brighton office of Personnel Selection, the employment agency that sent Simon to his death in Shoreham, is occupied. A banner reading MURDERERS is hung from the window. Leaflets are handed out asking Why should agencies like this take half your wages when you're doing all the work?. The office is shut down for the day and again workers are sent home on full pay.

In response to the campaign's actions environment minister Michael Meacher admits on BBC radio that the government's plans for protecting people at work are "Not enough". Discussing the government's intention to spend an extra £4.5m on health and safety inspectors, Meacher says "I would be the first to say I think these significant increases are not enough". He goes on to say that " I am absolutely outraged that penalties that perhaps are as little as £2,500, which I certainly believe are derisory and insulting, are sometimes awarded in the case of death or serious injury".


Personnel Selection 20th September 1998


Department of Trade and Industry 3rd March 1999

Labour MP George Galloway gives a speech in the House of Commons about Simon Jones and the human cost of casualisation
. He goes into considerable detail concerning Simon's death, at one point stating that the manager of Euromin's "contempt for the laws of health and safety in this country, his greed and hunger for profit and his negligence and carelessness slaughtered a young man just as clearly as if he had pushed him off the dock with his own hands". The Simon Jones Memorial Campaign stages a protest outside the House of Commons to coincide with the debate.

Afterwards, the campaign storms and occupies the Department of Trade and Industry in protest at its failure to regulate employment agencies. The department's workers are evacuated from the building and campaigners spend a couple of hours handing out leaflets before police end the protest.

Southwark Bridge 28th April 1999
Over one year after Simon's death and after countless letters have been written to the Health and Safety Executive by Simon's parents, still nothing has been done. The campaign visits the HSE headquarters next to Sothwark Bridge in central London and Simon's family lays a wreath at the door. When the family's request to speak to the HSE's boss Jenny Bacon are refused around thirty members of the campaign walk on to Southwark Bridge and blockade it for three hours. Eventually the family are allowed to meet Jenny Bacon..

Deputy Judge Nigel Plemin QC gives the family of Simon Jones permission to seek judicial review of the Crown Prosecution Service's decision to refuse to bring manslaughter charges against Euromin, the company Simon was working for when he was killed. Judge Plemin says that there is "a clearly arguable case "as to whether the cause of his death had been properly considered", and suggests that a prosecution on the basis of a charge of "manslaughter through gross negligence" should have been allowed.

Mark Thomas, Robert Newman and Jo Brand play a sell out gig for the Simon Jones Memorial Campaign at Hove Town Hall where the campaign film Not this time - the story of the Simon Jones Memorial Campaign is premiered.

23RD MARCH 2000
Simon’s family win an historic victory against the Crown Prosecution Service when two judges order the CPS to reconsider its decision not to prosecute Euromin or its manager James Martell for manslaughter in relation to Simon’s death. The judgement is the first successful judicial review of a decision not to prosecute for manslaughter over a workplace death in British legal history. 
In a strongly worded judgement the two judges hearing the review describe the CPS as behaving “irrationally”, “failing to address the relevant law” and adopting an approach  that iss “baffling” and “beggared belief”. The CPS are instructed to review their decision not to prosecute “with dispatch”.

Nearly six months after the CPS have been told to prosecute Simon's killers, on what would have been Simon's 27th birthday, The Simon Jones Memorial Campaign pickets the Crown Prosecution Service in protest at its continuing failure to prosecute anyone over Simon's death. The police act in a very heavy handed manner, ironically arresting one protester for demanding they take action over Simon's death.

More than two and a half years after Simon's death, the CPS finally agrees to prosecute Euromin and James Martell for the manslaughter of Simon Jones.

The trial of Euromin and James Martell for the manslaughter of Simon Jones finally starts at the Old Bailey. On 29th November 2001 the jury clears general manager Richard James Martell and Euromin of manslaughter by a majority verdict. The jury does find Euromin guilty of two crimes relating to health and safety that led directly to Simon Jones' death for which the company is fined £50,000. Following the trial Simon's brother Tim Jones and the campaign make statements.

James Martell Leaving Court

Euromin Docks 3rd December 2001

In reponse to the trial verdict thirty campaign supporters blockade the Shoreham dock where Simon Jones was killed. Euromin's on-site offices are occupied and a giant banner reading SIMON JONES - KILLED BY CASUALISATION is hung from a dockside lighting rig.

Passing car drivers peep their horns in support of the action. Leaflets are given out to people in nearby houses explaining Euromin's role in Simon's death. The police, warmed by hot drinks given to them by Euromin staff, arrest three women and two men and charge them under the union bashing Trade Union and Labour Relations Act 1992.

One of the accused, Carly North, a local single mum and friend of Simon's, says at the time, "My friend died and the company that killed him gets off with a fine. I sit in their office for a couple of hours and get charged as if I'm the criminal. It was when I was getting fingerprinted and DNAed I thought, 'no, this isn't right'.

"I just wish the police and the powers that be would put more effort and resources into arresting managers who risk their employees lives without people having to organise protests to make them. I'm no legal expert, but it seems to me that that would make a lot more sense than charging people who are trying to prevent more deaths."

Following a determined campaign, charges against all five are eventually dropped.

Euromin Docks 3rd December 2001


Safety campaigner arrested at Euromin's docks 3rd December 2001.All charges were later dropped.

The Brighton offices of Personnel Selection, the employment agency that sent Simon to his death, are picketed all day and leaflets handed out to people passing by. Members of the public show their support by peeping their horns and many stop to ask about the campaign. A spokesperson for the Simon Jones Memorial Campaign says, "There is no doubt that Euromin's practice of cutting corners on safety led directly to Simon's death. Unfortunately, as last week's paultry fine showed, the law currently puts very little value on the lives of workers. The message to companies is that it makes good business sense to pay small fines rather than take steps to ensure that workers aren't killed or injured. Our action today was intended to send out a very different message - that if the law won't take action against killer companies, we will."

21ST JANUARY 2002 - The Simon Jones Memorial Campaign hosts a LIFE BEFORE PROFIT - STOPPING THE CORPORATE KILLERS rally in Brighton. The five people arrested at Euromin, Simon's family, the London Hazards Centre, Centre for Corporate Accountability and over 100 people attend the rally.


Personnel Selection 24th April 2002

24TH APRIL 2002
A national day of action on the fourth anniversary of Simon's death sees the offices of Personnel Selection in Brighton shut down again.
About 100 people gather at noon outside the Personnel Selection offices with banners, music, balloons, mums with kids, students from Sussex University where Simon studied, a local councillor and a dragon. The road is blocked, cars pump horns in support and the public, who are aware of the campaign, show their support. There are a dozen other sympathy protests across the country.

Simon's parents, Chris and Anne, go into Personnel Selection's office to demand it is shut down for the day. The police target two individuals for arrest for obstruction while Simon's parents are inside Personnel Selection but at 2pm Personnel Selection cave in to pressure and shut their office for the day.

24TH APRIL 2008
On the tenth anniversary of Simon's death, his parents Anne and Chris and brother Tim led a discussion on the lessons learnt by the campaign at Brighton's Cowley Club.